||| home |||
||| Press Release 5 August 2008 |||
English Heritage rubbishes Queensgate Revival proposal
Huddersfield Gem has seen the letter that English Heritage has sent to Kirklees Council's planning service with serious
concerns about the deficiencies of the council's Queensgate Revival outline proposals.
English Heritage recognises potential threats to the town centre include:
In June Huddersfield Gem revealed that the planning application threatened to butcher Queensgate Market Hall. Kirklees
Council cabinet member for Regeneration, Cllr Kenneth Sims denied this but now English Heritage recognises that the
proposed demolition of the listed building has been "neither fully explained nor justified... the case for a development
form that affects the Market Hall remains to be made."
- the extent of the proposed changes to the grade II Queensgate Market Hall which involves the loss of sections
of original fabric and subdivision of the space;
- an empty library and art gallery building;
- poor quality architecture that lacks local distinctiveness.
English Heritage's Historic Building and Areas Advisor has recommended that further documentation is needed before
the application can be determined and asked for the council, as applicant, to provide:
Huddersfield Gem understands that the provision of these documents to the planning service would lead to second
statutory period of public consultation.
- a master plan which sets out the ambitions for the site and key outputs;
- details of the works proposed to the market hall including a justification to show why they are necessary and
desirable and an evaluation of the effects that works will have on the building's significance;
- an undertaking addressing the future of the listed library and art gallery, providing for its continued use.
Notes for editors
- If you would like to be sent complete English Heritage letter as five jpegs just email
huddersfieldgem-at-hotmail.com with 'EH letter' in the subject field and we will reply with the full letter. The
original can be found with other objections in the 2008/91902 application file at Kirklees Planning.
- In June 2008 Huddersfield Gem issued a press release, Plans butcher Huddersfield's Queensgate Market.
Huddersfield Gem aims to study, promote and ensure the future of the Queensgate Market Hall and the Huddersfield Co-operative extension. Gem will work in partnership with other groups and organisations to identify the best options for the buildings and users.